Secret Shopper RA Interview

For this secret shopper experience, I went to the public library in a small town just outside of the city where I live.  The day I went in, there was just one young woman at the front desk, and some other people milling around, who may or may not have worked there. 

Overall, the experience was pleasant, because the woman at the front desk was so sweet, approachable, and tried to help me as best as she could.  I asked her if she could recommend a good book for a book club, and she seemed eager to help.  She asked "what did the book club like to read" and did we want "fiction or nonfiction".  She did a lot of typing on the computer, ans actually came up with 2 different websites that would help me.  She first suggested I use GoodReads, especially if I had a book in mind that I already wanted.  She then informed me that the library also had NoveList, and that I might want to try that as well.

I asked her what was the last book she read that she really liked (see how I flipped it there?), and she responded that she mostly read things on Facebook. Again, she was very sweet and friendly, and I'm not interested in judging her taste (or lack thereof) in books.  It seemed more like a failing of the library rather than the young woman, to have someone at a front desk who wasn't able recommend a book.  But, I won't pretend to know how or why she was at that desk, and she did seem to have at least some cursory knowledge of how to look for information, and the kids of resources the library offered. But, needless to say, I left without ever actually getting a book recommendation from her, but felt the interaction was pleasant and friendly.  You win some, you lose some!

Comments

  1. That is so accurate, you win some, you lose some. I've been on both ends of these and rarely are they ever perfect. I'm glad you kept an open mind and were able to see the positive in an otherwise "meh" RA interaction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts