Romance book club observation






I attended a romance book club at a small local library. This was the first time the club had met in several months because the librarian who runs it had been out for some time and was now back at work. We met in one of the small study rooms in the library, and there were donut holes and tea waiting for us, which was a nice touch. The first 15 minutes or so the women in the group spent some time getting caught up with each other. There were 5 of us all together, and they happily allowed me to crash their party.

It was a pretty loosely formatted meeting, more of a leisurely chat instead of a structured meeting with “book club” questions. The librarian was the coordinator, but she did not lead the discussion in any formal way. Incidentally, I find this to be a really enjoyable way to have a conversation about a book. Just letting it unfold naturally as opposed to having to answer specific questions is much more within my personal comfort zone. However, I can certainly see the benefit of having leading questions within a book club setting, especially if not all of the members know each other. It can be a little more challenging to have a really meaningful conversation with someone you don't really know. I think having specific questions would also encourage those who are shy to contribute. In any case, not having an organized discussion for this group worked really well, as they all clearly knew each other and were very comfortable with one another. This is a great example of a “highly social” book club. (Starting a Book Club)

The club had been working their way through the Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day. I have not personally read this series, but from what I gather, it is essentially a very steamy yet tortured love story. Some had read all of them, some only part of it, but everyone was pretty engaged. Someone brought up the fact that this series of books was a lot like the 50 Shades series, and there was pretty much total agreement on that. In fact, one participant speculated that if this series had actually been written before 50 Shades, and if that was the case, then 50 Shades seemed almost like a copy in some ways, or at least highly derivative (and vice versa). The librarian in me needed to settle that matter, so I quickly checked and found that the Sylvia Day series was published in 2012, and 50 Shades was published in 2011. Even though E.L. James’ work came out prior, it was not likely enough time to be able to consider Sylvia Day a copycat. In any case, it was nice to be able to contribute to the conversation even though I had no idea what they were talking about!

As it turns out, this was a transitional meeting for the book club. They had been doing the romance genre for about a year, and the librarian and one other member if the group brought up the suggestion that they consider changing genres. They had previously had a conversation about exploring either mysteries or true crime. Anne Rule was discussed as a potential starting point, but one member wasn’t sure she would enjoy anything really brutal, especially if it involved children. The librarian/group leader suggested Devil in the White City as a possible alternative to Anne Rule’s style of writing. On the mystery side, a member suggested starting with Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone series. I talked to them about Louisiana Longshot, the book I read for my mystery genre annotation. It’s a good mystery, funny, not gory, no children get hurt, etc. In the end, nothing was decided on by the end of the meeting, but they all stay in touch outside of the book club, so they are going to figure it out in the next few days.

I do not have a lot of experience with book clubs, but I would venture to guess that this is not totally the norm; that is, not really discussing the actual book for too long, and not deciding on a book (or even a genre!) for the next meeting. I am by no means passing judgement, though. I had a great time hanging out at this book club. The librarian/leader was funny and engaging and did seem to encourage the discussion after a fashion. Because while she didn’t have a format or stick to direct questions, there was rarely a lull in the conversation, and I think that was due in large part to her energy and enthusiasm. Anyone who desires a very structured book club might not be comfortable with how this one operates, but the participants all seemed to have a really good time.




Works cited

“Starting a Book Club.” I Love Libraries, www.ilovelibraries.org/booklovers/bookclub/.


Relevant links

Comments

  1. Amanda,

    I think it's interesting that several of these which I've read so far seem to talk about more casual book club interactions. Mine was also this way, and I have to agree that I honestly think I prefer this kind of gathering. I participate in other group related things where discussion questions are asked, and it can honestly feel a bit stifling to be pushed through a set of questions when a side topic might actually be more pertinent to the people in the room.

    Do you think it might be due to the size of the group, as well, that this kind of conversation works so well? The Sci-Fi/Fantasy group I visited had a total of six people (including me) at the meeting, and Catherine's group had eight in it. I imagine with larger groups a more structured setting would be necessary. I was also thinking about people who come to book clubs that might want to talk about books...but aren't really sure how to join the conversation.

    This sounds like a really neat group! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! Yeah, this wasn't quite what I expected, but it ended up being a really great time. I think I would probably end up being deeply uncomfortable in a really formal setting. However, you are right that many people probably need encouragement or some sort of guide to help them get involved in a conversation. It might be helpful in general to sort of advertise a book club as either super social, structured, etc. I am looking forward to reading the other responses to see the ration of social to structured clubs. This is all new to me! I've never been in a book club, and honestly, the type that sounds up my alley is the one that meets at a pub! I LOVE talking to people about books, but I really enjoy a spontaneous conversation, and a pint always helps with that. (It kind of makes me think of all those old Irish writers sitting around in pubs discussing their work. Could those be considered the first "book clubs"??)

      Delete
    2. Amanda,

      I've visited The Eagle and Child in Oxford, and the atmosphere feels right up there with the type of location where a good book discussion should take place on a regular basis :)

      I like your idea about having some sort of disclaimer for people who are new to book clubs, or to that book club in particular. As we have experienced, we went in with a particular kind of expectation, and found that it was nothing like what we assumed we'd find. I'm sure others have done the same thing (and some would have hated it, just as much as we enjoyed it).

      Delete
  2. On the note of the more casual book club setting: I wonder if this trend (if it's a trend) is related to the transition from librarians "recommending" to "suggesting" books (as Saricks talks about). I run a book club and once or twice I've brought a list of formal "book-club-type" questions with me to the meeting. Those stiff, imposed questions didn't really seem to fit with our discussion, though. If anything my list of questions seemed to compromise the mood for discussion and I quickly backed off of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be an interesting book club. I'm pretty sure I would be 50 shades of pink talking about those books with a bunch of people, especially if they were people I didn't know particularly well. It's interesting to me that the group didn't meet for awhile because the librarian wasn't available; do they feel that they have to have a librarian there for it to be official? Or is that a requirement of the library? Even though they're not really my style of books, I appreciate that the library tries to find books and clubs for all people, not just for some groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fun book club. I've been wanting to read more romance novels, but don't know where to start. It's interesting that they wanted to change from romance to crime and mystery, a big step I would think. It looks like true crime is really taking over right now. The Anne Rule book Stranger Beside Me would be a very big jump from romance. I hope they can decide on a new book soon. Great observation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful observations! I'm glad you had a great time. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts