Week 15 Prompt- Marketing Your Library's Fiction Collection



Image result for library employee favorites display1.) Create an "employee favorites/ recommendations" display
Whether it's a bookstore or a library, I always make a beeline for the employee recommendations display.  As someone who has worked in libraries for many years, I loved it when people asked me what I was reading, and I was always asking my coworkers what they were reading.  For folks who are too shy to directly ask a librarian to recommend something, this is a perfect way to help them find their next great read.  The important thing, however, is to keep the display fresh.  Having the same recommendations on a shelf for six months would be a little tacky (in my opinion), so rotting those titles every few weeks is essential.  However,  once a book is removed from a recommendations display, placing a noticeable sticker on the spine that indicates it is a staff-recommended book is a great way to keep those titles alive.  " ...merely placing a red dot on spines of books on the regular shelves with signs on the end panels saying red dots mean recommended books increased circulation of those books by 9% to 179%. Dots of different colors could represent different genres, different awards (e.g., Nebula vs. Hugo) or different sources of recommendation (e.g., Modern Library list best novels)." (Rippel).

2.) Book Lists
Creating book lists, whether they are staff-recommended titles or genre-specific lists, is an easy way to promote your fiction collection, especially those titles that fall outside of the ever-popular "bestseller" list.  Award winners, obscure titles from popular genres, or author-specific lists, made available in bookmark form at the circulation desk, gives patrons access to titles they might not otherwise notice. but also a handy way to remember them!

3.) Book Graph on Library Website
Barnes & Noble's website features a Book Graph that is, quite honestly, one of the coolest tools I've ever used!  If you have not played around with it, I highly recommend doing so.  It operates on linked data, first by having the reader select one book, and then literally branching out other book recommendations based on subject headings in the original book.  Clicking on one of those books yields yet another web/branches of results.  It is so easy to go down the rabbit hole on this thing, and I have discovered  dozens of titles that I never knew existed based on my interest in one book.  Not only does it give you a ton of book ideas, it is SO much fun to play with!  Any public library could benefit from this (trademarked) tool, and as an added bonus, would possibly draw in more readers who traditionally shop (and pay for) book on the Barnes & Noble website.
Here is a link to the book graph.  I DARE you not to get sucked in!
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/book-graph/bookGraph-results.jsp#/book/9781250099679



Works cited

Rippel, Chris. “What Libraries Can Learn from Bookstores.” WebJunction, 21 Mar. 2012, www.webjunction.org/documents/webjunction/What_Libraries_Can_Learn_from_Bookstores.html.

Comments

  1. One of my colleagues gave our book lists for children and teens new life on our website. He took charge by inspiring us to take on certain genres and to keep track of them. They come in handy a lot, especially working in Youth Services. It also helps youth learn how to navigate the shelf. I usually print off the list and help them find one or two books, and I have them try and find a couple more on their own to understand how we organize things. These lists are great because kids and teens, in my experience, look more for topic than appeal factors, whereas adults care more about appeal factors since they have read more and know what they like by now. However, we have plenty of book lists for adults, especially lists on upcoming and popular titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting that the simple use of color coded dot could increase circulation numbers like that. Although it makes sense if you have the ability train your patrons to use such a system. They can easily spot books which have been recommended when they are wandering through the stacks. Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, the book graph is amazing and I want one in my house. That is an awesome tool to share and use with patrons. I think it's also a tool that libraries could train patrons on so they don't get so far down the rabbit hole they never find their way back out. If you even did a 1st branch, 2nd branch kind of list...oh the possibilities are endless...off to play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy employee recommendation displays. I always read the ones at Barnes & Noble because they always write out why they are recommending the books. I mentioned on my own post how staff recommendations could help patrons connect with staff who have similar reading profiles. Speaking of Barnes & Noble, I have never seen the Book Graph tool. That would be great if a library could get something similar on their own website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book graph idea! I really think my library's website could benefit from some type of widget to help customers find related titles and this one is kind of perfect. I know this one is trademarked, etc. but it really seems like NoveList Plus could come up with something similar. I mean, that's what they do. Has anyone seen anything effective like this on a library website?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I went ahead and Googled it. Looks like NoveList might be working on something ... = )

    https://www.ebscohost.com/novelist-the-latest/blog-article/introducing-embedded-linked-data-widgets

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went and looked at the Book Graph on Barnes and Noble. I think this is really great. I can't wait to spend some more time using it. I had never seen it before. I will definitely being going back looking at it in more detail when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your comments about the staff picks display. My library has one of those "tacky" staff pick displays, and I couldn't agree more. For some reason, the staff is just not interested in sharing interesting books they read, because many of the same books show up week after week, most of them just popular romances and mysteries. We need some sort of incentive or policy that requires more input and interest from the staff. GREAT tip about B&N Book Graph, by the way. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love keeping dots on staff pick books! What a great idea, also that graph is bananas! That's a rabbit hole I could get lost in. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts