Week 16 Prompt- Reading: past, present, and future


Image result for belleville public library
Belleville Public Library
Belleville, IL. 

Pictured above is the library where it all began. At least once a week, I would go here with either my mom or my grandmother. The basement was the children's room, so some of my earliest memories are of that floor. As I got older, I was allowed to browse on the first floor for titles for older kids (I still remember the display of R.L. Stine books),  The second floor has this huge marble staircase leading up to the mysterious "research rooms".  
It's an interesting thought experiment to reflect on how my kids' library experiences differ from my own. I'm comforted to realize that, for the most part, their experiences aren't very different from mine. Even with all of the new ways of accessing information, libraries are still these super-chill, zen places of quiet exploration There are obvious things that have changed about how people read today vs. 30 years ago. I would say the primary difference in how I read is that now I listen to most of my books. I think the thing that has changed the most is how I find what to read. It seems to me that for the longest time, the way I found out what to read was by talking about books with my friends, who were also reading all the time. We would take trips to weird bookstores in the city and get piles of Dostoevsky, Vonnegut, and Virginia Woolf paperbacks. There was no such thing as Goodreads, or even really full-time access to the internet. I miss that sense of adventure, but I'm also middle-aged with 2 kids and a full-time job, so jaunting off to bookstores in dicey neighborhoods isn't exactly on my agenda these days. Which is ok! Because, luckily there is Goodreads now. And that really cool Book Graph on the Barnes&Noble website. However, the one thing that hasn't changed, thank goodness, is having a lot of cool friends who also like to read, and who talk about what they read.

So where do I think we will be 20 years from now as readers? How will we read, and how will we find what to read? I'm not certain, but I can tell you what I hope doesn't happen. I hope we don't get some sort of weird technology that, like facial recognition, can tell us what kind of books to recommend through a retinal scan. That would take all the fun out of it (although, yes, I see the irony here. This is pretty much what linked data does, minus the retinal scan). Do you know what else would be weird? People being able to bypass a publisher and just do it their own dang selves. (*crickets chirping*)

Seriously, though.  I could not have even fathomed the leaps that have been made in my lifetime as far as to how we publish and consume written material, and sometimes I get understandably concerned that "reading as we know it" will wither and dies somehow.  But-and you can call me overly-optimistic on this one-I really believe that people are going to continue reading, in any way they can, well into the future, even if books don't look like books anymore.  People aren't just going to stop reading, or lose interest.  My program is certainly proof of that.  My patrons are all blind, and nothing will stop them from reading.  Are there waaayyyyy more things to distract us from reading now?  Absolutely.  Is that what that scares me more than the "e-reader" debate.  Yes.  But, I don't know.  True readers always seem to rise above it somehow.  I think the important thing for libraries and librarians to promote is how to literature keep alive, and to keep patrons coming back for more, in whatever form they choose.  We can do this by staying open to all the changes we see taking place, finding ever new ways to integrate the technology that already exists in the lives of the patron, and make it part of the reading and information experience.   



















Comments

  1. Mandy, I love the picture of your childhood library....looks like a community focal point and place just itching to give visitors something worthy. I agree with you that technology will continue to advance and spiral, with some success and some failures. In the future, perhaps, readers, authors and publishers can simultaneously converse about a given work. The print, book, though, will remain durable and everlasting. The package is easily transportable, requires no device, charge or battery and will withstand the tides of technology, always remaining a steadfast reassurance to book lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "True readers always seem to rise above it". Beautiful and so true!

    And heaven help anyone who gets in the way of a reader...perhaps a mother lion is actually more frightening. Perhaps.

    People have always looked at their own generation and seen the end of civilization as we know it only a few years away. After all, the pesky 'new kids' are out to destroy all the hard work already done. And yet...here we all are. Books are merely the physical form of stories. Before the printing press, the way most people shared stories was through an oral tradition (and there are still some cultures where this is the preferred method). So long as there are humans on this planet, we will never be without stories. I hope that the intimate feel of a book in my hands (although I do also read on my phone) lasts another few generations, but, someday, the idea of a paperback might be just as foreign to a child as a scroll or wax tablet is to us. Time never stops ticking, people never stop changing, and the world never stops spinning. And books? As you say, they may look different, but what is a book but a story in physical form?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that your children's experiences with books are similar to your own! I worry that my children may not like reading or go through a period (like I did) that I hated reading! I'm glad that the generational love of reading is still continuing! I also enjoyed you sharing your experiences going to bookstores before Goodreads! It's crazy to think there was a time all of these kinds of reference materials didn't exist...which isn't too long ago! But I love how you ended your post with libraries keeping literature alive. I think that's our biggest goal at libraries and finding ways for the old books to connect with today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is so cool that you have memories of exploring bookstores as a child, because so do I! That was one of my parents favorite things, all around the state we would take weekend trips to find quirky little places that housed all of our favorite books. I really do hope that when I have kids someday that this is a tradition to be kept alive and that they will learn to love the library as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book recommendations by retinal scan is an interesting concept. Then the proper books will be downloaded into our brains so we won't have to read them; we'll just know them. I can't remember what show I saw this on, but I remember a character saying that they had swallowed the most recent bestseller in capsule form. Regardless, I don't think they'll be a machine that will take the place of person-to-person recommendations. I remember years ago trying to obtain a self-checkout machine for my library. The little old ladies who worked for me didn't want a thing to do with it because they thought I was trying to replace them with a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I've become an audiobook reader too! For those of use with long commutes (mine is 35 minutes each way for one job, and around 15-20 minutes each way for the other), that's the way to get reading done! I just finished listening to "The Last Jedi," and WOW. I would never have read that book as quickly as I listened to it, LOL; not during the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post, what a wonderful book journey! I love the photo as well. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts